*Sent mailings to River residents, soliciting feedback on what seemed, and was later validated, to be shared safety and environmental concerns.
* Contacted various public officials regarding said concerns including excessive and apparantly increasing No Wake law violations.
*Founded the C.R.P.A. ( late 2015 )
* Conferenced with Cheboygan County Sheriff, Outdoor / Marine Division ( Sgt. Kennedy ), expressing concerns / offering recommendations.
*Sent multiple mailings and held C.R.P.A. August member meeting, soliciting interests from Cheboygan River residents / C.R.P.A. members.
* Held meetings with Sgt. Kennedy and DNR, voicing concerns over, and offering ideas to enhance the river environment, safety, and tranquility.
* Obtained DNR approval for, donated, installed and maintained official No Wake lighted buoys.
*Worked with Sgt Kennedy and redesigned new No Wake signs.
*Designed a Waterway Informational pamphlet for use by the Cheboygan River hotels to educate their guests on the Inland Waterway.
* Initiated C.R.P.A. Facebook site and designed and created C.R.P.A. website www.cheboyganriver-crpa.com
*Obtained and assessed relevant F.O.I.A. stats - DNR and Cheboygan Sheriff.
* Heightened awareness of river needs ( No Wake enforcement / safety )
*Grew C.R.P.A. membership and garnered continued community support.
*Obtained support from the State DNR Law Enforcement, Chief Hagler.
*Conferenced with / supported by Lt. Gorno, Gaylord DNR Office.
*Conferenced with / supported by BMCS Babione, USCG St. Ignace Office.
*Held a follow-up discussion with BMCS Babione concerning possible addition of pilings/day beacons north of Moonlight Bay area.
*Held April Annual Member Meeting, with guests Sheriff Clarmont, Sgt Kennedy and newly appointed DNR Sergeant, Sgt. DePew.
*Reached a consensus - work together to positively "Move The Needle".
*Obtained commitment for new No Wake sign funding from Sheriff Clarmont.
* Awarded Appreciation Certificates to guests, and to Lisa Kelso - Pier 33 Manager, for her providing our meeting location.
*Printed and distributed Waterway Informational pamphlets that included No Wake laws information, to hotel owners for their boating guests.
*Provided lunch for kids attending Cheboygan Marine Division's Boater Safety Class, in cooperation with Sgt. Kennedy.
*Posted new No Wake signs ( Lincoln Street launch, pilings at Black River, Fleetwood Inn docks, piling at the mouth of river in Mullett Lake ) more to be installed in 2018
*Retrofitted old No Wake signs to the new design. - new laminate displays No Wake for "Entire Cheboygan River" vs. the old " No Wake Zone". ( The Forks launch, Pier 33 dock ).
* Promoted the C.R.P.A.'s mission through appearances in multiple news articles and a TV news interview - enjoyed wide distribution and viewership.
*Appeared and participated in Cheboygan's Fourth of July Parade - handed out flyers and candy of course!
* Held October Member Meeting, where we elected Officers and Board members and discussed planning for a fun member event for Spring 2018.
*Requested and received F.O.I.A. data for the 2017 season; reviewed with Sgt. Kennedy - noted significant progress, that also validated C.R.P.A.'s concerns.
* Heightened awareness for the need to improve river tranquility and safety.
*Noted enhanced patrols by the Cheboygan Sheriff Marine Division, the DNR, and USCG - started to "Move the Needle".
Some Pictures of things we did in 2017
News Article Link
*Received 2017 Cheboygan Sheriff Marine Division statistics for the 2017 and noted a significant increase in patrols and boater interactions.
*Planning started for a Spring C.R.P.A. Member Picnic.
*We will be donating to the Cheboygan Marine Division's Boater Safety Class, in cooperation with Sgt. Kennedy, to cover lunch for all the kids taking the course.
*Planning started for a small informal gathering for the Cheboygan County Marine Division / Deputies.
*Planning started for installation of more No Wake signs, with promise of additional funding from the Cheboygan County Sheriff Marine Division.
*Plans made to meet with DNR Lt. Gorno and Sgt. DePew to discuss 2018.
* Planning started to add a third DNR approved lighted No Wake buoy.
* Reached out to the Michigan State Police inquiring about their marine patrols.
* Reached out to the DNR, DEQ, USACE about dredging the mouth of the river to help with water levels.
* Received 2018 Cheboygan Marine Division statistics for the 2018 season.
* Placed the two approved No Wake Buoy's on the river in the Spring.
* Donated lunch for the Marine Division's Boater Safety Class in cooperation with Sgt. Kennedy.
* Worked closely with Law Enforcement to ensure the safety of boaters on the river
* Installed more No Wake Signs along the river to help promote the Law of the river.
* Got approval to place a third No Wake buoy from the DNR.
* Participate in the Cheboygan 4th of July Parade. Handed out candy and flyers.
* Had an informal meeting with Sgt. Kennedy at seasons end.
2020 ( Limited due to COVID )
* Received the 2019 Cheboygan Marine statistics for the 2019 season.
* Placed the two approved No Wake Buoy's on the river.
* Installed 2 more No Wake signs at a strategic spot along the waterway.
* Had an initial meeting with Tip - of - the- Mitt regarding a new multi year study.
* Received a new updated mailing list for a new mailing.
* Sent mailing.
* We increased membership via new members. Thanks you!!
2021 ( To Date )
*Received the 2020 Cheboygan Marine Patrol statistics for the 2020 season.
Copyright 2016. Cheboygan River Preservation Assoc. All rights reserved.